Treat Recipe for a Healthy, Happy Kitty
A message from the Laramie Animal Shelter –
“We do lots of recipes for dog treats, but cats have needs too! Today we thought we’d share a tasty recipe for some home-grown cat treats. While lots of kitty cats tend to be overweight due to overeating and lack of exercise, we think these treats might help you turn over a new leaf with your cat snack routine. They are made from a few simple ingredients and can be tweaked to suit your Fluffy’s personal tastes. The recipe is below and these treats are super simple to make!
10 oz canned salmon or other canned fish
1 large egg, beaten
2 cups whole wheat flour (unless your kitty is grain free)
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Pulse 10 oz canned salmon (un-drained) in a food processor until fully pureed.
- With a hand or electric mixer, mix all three ingredients until dough forms.
- If dough is too dry, add up to 1/3 cup water.
- If dough is too sticky, add a bit more flour. Dough should be tacky but not sticky.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a 3/4-inch cookie cutter in the shape of your choice to create your treats.
- You can cut small squares or shapes with cookie cutters or make small balls if you don’t have special cutters.
- Place treats on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes.
- When they’re slightly browned and crunchy, the treats are done.
- Allow to cool before serving.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Whip up some of these tasty little morsels for your feline companion! Fluffy will love them and you’ll also be helping him/her avoid preservatives and other questionable ingredients so often found in commercial treats.”